88958767 - COPO Build Handbook
This product may require vehicle validation(s) for proper fitment. Please contact us to confirm correct vehicle fitment and usage.
An illustrated insider's guide to factory COPO Camaro build processes, parts, and specifications for Bowtie enthusiasts and potential COPO builders.
More than 130 color pages and hundreds of photos depict the build process at the specialty COPO Build Center, near Detroit. They include modifications required of the “body in white” to accommodate roll cage and chassis/suspension components to the final installation of the interior trim and performance instruments – and even the application of the specialized COPO exterior graphics.
“The COPO Build Book offers an unprecedented look at how the COPO Camaro is built, from start to finish,” said Jim Campbell, GM U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “Because not everyone who raised their hand for one of the 69 production models had the opportunity to obtain one, we designed this book to help others build their own Camaro Stock Eliminator race car. There is not a more complete reference to the COPO Camaro build process available.”
All COPO Camaro production models were built by hand starting with hardware from the Oshawa assembly plant that manufactures regular-production Camaros, including the same body in white body shells (part number 19243374) racers can purchase from Chevrolet Performance, along with other COPO-specific parts, to build their own dedicated race car. Each production COPO Camaro was fitted with an NHRA-approved roll cage and other safety equipment, along with racing chassis and suspension components – including a unique solid rear axle system in place of a regular-production Camaro’s independent rear axle. The cars rolled off the line wearing lightweight Bogart racing wheels and Hoosier racing tires.
Chapters and sections in the book cover the entire build process including:
- Body in white/chassis modifications
- Rear suspension (with solid rear axle) installation kit and subframe modifications
- Roll cage fabrication and installation
- Body trim installation
- Brake lines and line-lock installation
- Fuel system installation
- Front and rear suspension and steering system installation
- Interior trim installation
- Engine assembly overview at the Performance Build Center
- Powertrain and cooling system installation
- Wiring harness and instrument installation
- Final assembly and vehicle preparation details.
In addition to overview photos of the entire build process, the COPO Build Book also includes detailed specifications for NHRA classification, along with the descriptions of the aftermarket parts and their manufacturers used for the production vehicles. Important start-up, warm-up and pre-/post-race procedures are also included, as well as fluid and maintenance recommendations.
“When Hot Rod first heard the Camaro was returning to production, we were excited to talk with Chevrolet Performance insiders about the possibility of a factory drag package – and now the COPO is a reality,” said David Freiburger, editor-in-chief, Hot Rod. “The COPO Build Book reveals there are real hot rodders building real hot rods within Chevrolet!”
Chevrolet Performance’s new 2013 catalog helps racers get their start building their own Stock Eliminator race car, with several specialty components used on the production COPO Camaros, including the unique composite hood and provisions for mounting a solid rear axle.
- Item Requires Shipping
- 1.0 lbs.
Total Reviews (0)
Write the First Review!
You must login to post a review.
May We Suggest
- We don’t just want your business today. We want to EARN your business for LIFE!
- USA Owned, Operated & Employed
- Installers & Resellers Click Here to Apply
We Specialize In:
- GM LS Conversions
- Engine & Trans Combo Kits
- Unique Ready to Run Engines
- Have a question?
- to Email our Sales & Tech Staff
- 888-748-4655 Mon-Fri 8AM-6PM EST Sat 9AM-5PM
- Click above for 24/7 Live Chat Service.